Savor the flavors of traditional Syrian Lamb Fatteh With Tahini- Yogurt Sauce! This Middle Eastern masterpiece is a celebration for your senses; layers of toasted flatbread, fragrant rice, and succulent meat provide an aromatic base with warm seasonings. The creamy tahini sauce brings it all together, while crunchy pine nuts or almonds make this classic dish indulgent.
Despite its complexity, Syrian Lamb Fattah is easy to prepare with readily available ingredients. While the dish is typically served at larger banquets, it’s great for a weeknight dinner or hearty lunch! Thanks to its ease of preparation, you can enjoy the delicious flavors of Syrian Lamb Fattah in no time!
What is Lamb Fatteh With-Tahini-Yogurt Sauce?
“Fatteh” is an Arabic word that means to break something into small pieces. “Fatteh” usually refers to bread and is a traditional way of breaking and sharing bread in Middle Eastern communities. This act symbolizes hospitality and sharing and allows a large group to share the same bread. Breaking the bread into small pieces also allows everyone to experience its deliciousness.
“Fatteh” is also used in a culinary sense to describe a unique Lebanese dish like nachos! Fatteh can be as simple or complex as you’d like and can be a fun game day twist on an old classic! Instead of tortilla chips, broken and toasted shards of pita bread serve as the bed for whatever topping you’d like.
Tips for Making Lamb Fatteh
Here are some tips to help you make a Fatteh that’s truly out of this world!
- Gather the perfect ingredients for making a delicious Fatteh! Prepare your shopping list ahead so you only must make one trip to the store! A good Fatteh typically uses lots of ingredients.
- Could you set aside enough time to prepare the Fatteh? There is much work to do for this recipe. However, preparing the Fatteh is simple and easy, even if it’s labor-intensive. If you time it right, the Fatteh will come together quickly!
- Pay attention to timing while cooking the Lamb Fatteh. This dish has many layers; you want them to come out right. It’s easy to undercook the Fatteh if you need to be more careful. However, as the pita bread base is already toasted, you don’t want to burn it.
- Fatteh is a dish that benefits from a beautiful presentation. A Lamb Fatteh with Tahini- yogurt is a work of art and is as much a feast for the eyes as it is for your mouth! Consider serving the Lamb Fatteh in a transparent dish so everyone can admire its beautiful layers before eating.
- Fatteh is the perfect canvas for culinary experimentation. Switch things up by trying different types of meat in your Fattah. Try making it with ground lamb or rotisserie chicken to give each bite an extra flavor and texture. Or go the vegetarian route with some cubes of eggplant or just plain chickpeas or cooked lentils! There are no restrictions on what you can add or take out to make the dish truly yours.
- Fatteh toppings are also customizable—why stop at pine nuts, almonds, and pomegranate seeds? Add parsley-dusted sumac, feta, olives, or whatever suits your tastebuds best!
- You can serve that yogurt tahini sauce on the side of your Fatteh so everyone can customize how much they add to their plate.
Making Lamb Fatteh With Tahini-Yogurt: Step-by-Step Instructions
Ready to get started on your Syrian Lamb Shanks Fattah? Follow this recipe for an authentic Middle Eastern classic!
Preparing the pita bread
The first step to making Fatteh is preparing your pita bread. Then, finely dice two pita bread into small pieces. Toast them for roughly 20 minutes. Be sure you keep flipping those morsels so they cook evenly! Get your oven preheated at 375 degrees Fahrenheit and ready to go!
When it is crispy, remove them from the heat and keep them aside. They might sweat and get soggy if you pile them on each other. It’s best to spread them out on a cookie or baking sheet to give them space to release any moisture they might have left.
Preparing The Lamb Shank
The lamb shank is the star of your Fattah. However, give yourself enough time to follow each step to get the best flavor possible! Ensure you get all these ingredients forrian a take on this classic. An authentic Sy
Syrian Lamb Shanks Fattah is a delicious and hearty traditional meal. This dish consists of spiced lamb shanks cooked to perfection. Served over a bed of rice, toasted pita bread, and topped with crunchy toasted almonds, pine nuts, and drizzle tahini- yogurt sauce. This Middle Eastern delight has a unique flavor that will tantalize the taste buds of all who try it!
Start by heating your Dutch oven pot over medium-high heat. Toast the cinnamon sticks, dried limes, cardamom pods, and bay leaves for about one minute in the olive oil before adding lamb shanks.
Brown each side of the lamb shanks for around five minutes, then season with black pepper.
Finally, pour 6 cups of warm water into the mix and let simmer until the lamb shanks are tender enough to fall off the bone - approximately an hour or so should do it! Remove the lamb shanks, add ½ teaspoon of salt to the broth or your taste, and keep aside.
While the lamb cooks perfectly, give your rice a few washes before soaking it in warm water for 30 minutes.
Warm that tahini sauce in a medium stock pan set over medium heat! Add in your yogurt, garlic, Aleppo pepper, and cumin, then give it a good whisk. Then pour in 2 cups of water, followed by lamb broth. Keep stirring until everything thickens nicely before letting those bubbles form around the sides of the pot- cooking for 5 minutes should do just fine. Remove the tahini from the heat and pour it into a bowl to let it cool.
So, you've made all the ingredients for your Syrian Lamb Shanks Fattah. Now it's time to assemble this superb dish to create a delicious feast!
Smother your masterpiece in tahini sauce before topping off with toasted almonds, pine nuts, and parsley - served best alongside some lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Please Support The SiteHome Cooking is Easy!With These Minimalist Kitchen Essentials
Tell Me How I’m Doing?
Have you made this Syrian lamb shanks Fattah Recipe for your family yet? Please feel free to leave a comment below. Love to hear from you.