How to Make Homemade Almond Milk that Taste Yum Every Time?
Many people assume homemade almond milk will be challenging, but it’s pretty easy. You can make homemade almond milk with just two readily available ingredients: almonds and water. If you want to add a little flair to your almond milk, you can also add dates and vanilla extract. The only kitchen equipment needed is a food processor and straining bag! It is a great breakfast addition to your cooked oatmeal.
Do You Need To Soak Almonds For Making It?
Yes, almonds need to be soaked overnight for at least 12 hours before you start to make your almond milk. Soaking your almonds will create a smoother, creamier almond milk. It will also be healthier since allowing the almonds to soak will help to activate the enzymes and make the milk more nutritious.
Can You Use Roasted or Salted Almonds?
No, you cannot use roasted or salted almonds since it will completely change the taste and texture of the milk. Roasted almonds will create dry, bitter milk that is not as creamy. Having almonds that are salted will make your milk far too salty. The same goes for if you used sugared nuts. The milk will turn out sweet.
Health Benefits of homemade almond milk
Generally, milk is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. This milk from the Almonds provides the same nutrition as regular milk, but it does not contain lactose or cholesterol. This makes it a very healthy alternative.
Almonds are a natural source of energy, fiber, and essential nutrients for the human body. These nutrients help the body fight and protect against diseases. Although almond milk has plenty of health benefits, it does not contain the same amount of nutrients as a serving of raw almonds. Most nutrients and vitamins are lost during the extraction, peeling, and soaking process.
Here are some of the health benefits of almond milk.
- Improved vision – It naturally helps to improve your eyesight. It contains high levels of the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin. These protect your eyes from age-related diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Regulates heart health – This milk also contains high magnesium levels, an essential mineral that helps keep a person’s heart beating at an average pace. Magnesium helps lower blood pressure and relax your blood vessels, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Protect against diabetes – It is a natural source of fiber and nutrients that help control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. The antioxidants and mineral content protect the body against other inflammatory diseases.
Homemade Almond Milk FAQs
1. What is the Best Way To Store Almond Milk, and How Long Will it Stay Fresh?
The best way to preserve it is by storing it in sterilized jars. You can sterilize your glass jars or containers at home by immersing them in hot boiling water such that all the bacteria get killed.
It lasts in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. If you plan to store it for longer than that, make sure to put it in the freezer. It lasts for about 2-3 months in the freezer. You can also freeze the remaining pulp and use it later in baking or cooking delicious food.
2. How Would I Know If my homemade almond milk is still Fresh?
Here are a few indicators for spoiled almond milk:
- Smell: If it smells sour, then it has gone wrong. If you smell nothing but a good almond smell, then it’s still good to use.
- Color: The color will turn creamy yellow to brown.
- Texture: The almond milk will turn thick and slimy in texture.
3. What is the difference between homemade and store-bought one?
Homemade: Homemade almond milk is made from raw almonds and water. When you make it at home, you know precisely the number of almonds you have. Also, there are no other preservatives or added ingredients. So you are drinking wholesome, pure vegan milk.
Store-bought: Store-bought almond milk is usually made from almonds that have been blanched, ground up, and mixed with water to create a paste. In addition to many additives, include carrageenan, a product derived from seaweed. It is a vegan thickener but has been attributed to inflammation and negatively affects our bodies.
|1 cup raw almonds|
|3 cups fresh water|