A succulent shrimp tossed in a spicy blend of Mediterranean herbs and spices and a creamy Harissa sauce that packs a punch of heat. It makes an unforgettable tasty dish.
This Spicy Mediterranean shrimp recipe is delicious! Bursting with bold and zesty flavors, each succulent Shrimp is coated in a delectable blend of spices, garlic, black lemon, Harrisa, and pimento olives, creating a flavor explosion that will leave your taste buds singing. And the best part? This Shrimp Mediterranean recipe makes enough leftovers to enjoy for dinner tonight and tomorrow as well. So, get ready to savor every bite of this mouthwatering dish and add it to your weeknight dinner rotation – sure to become a new favorite in your household. Are you ready? If so, let’s start with one of my favorite Mediterranean diet shrimp recipes!
Mediterranean Shrimp Recipe with these ingredients:
For the Base:
- Tablespoon Olive Oil: Olive oil serves as the foundation for the dish, offering a rich and fruity undertone.
- Sweet Onion (Sliced): Sweet onions bring a mild and sweet flavor, providing a delightful balance to the dish.
- Red Pepper (Sliced): Red peppers contribute a sweet and slightly tangy note, adding vibrancy and color.
- Garlic Cloves (Minced): Garlic infuses the dish with a robust and aromatic profile, enhancing the Mediterranean flavors.
For the Spice Blend:
- Cumin: Cumin adds an earthy and warm flavor, complementing the other spices in the blend.
- Black Lime: Black lime offers a unique and tangy citrus flavor with hints of fermentation, creating depth and complexity.
- Paprika: Paprika provides a smoky and slightly sweet taste, enhancing the dish’s overall flavor profile.
- Spanish Pimento Olives (Sliced): These olives contribute a briny and fruity essence, elevating the Mediterranean taste.
For the Tomato Base:
- Fresh Tomato Sauce (or Canned Tomato Sauce): The tomato sauce brings a rich and tangy tomato flavor, forming the base of the dish.
- Tomato Paste: Tomato paste adds concentrated tomato flavor, thickening the sauce and enhancing its depth.
- Harissa: Harissa provides a spicy and smoky kick, contributing to the Mediterranean spice blend.
For the Shrimp:
- Shrimp: Shrimp offer a sweet and briny seafood essence, becoming the star protein of the dish.
- Lime Juice and Zest: Lime juice and zest provide a zesty and citrusy brightness, enhancing the overall Mediterranean taste.
- Fresh Cilantro (Chopped): Fresh cilantro adds a vibrant and herbaceous note, further elevating the Mediterranean essence.
- Salt and Pepper: These seasonings are used to season the dish, adding a balanced combination of savory and spicy flavors.
This Mediterranean Shrimp Recipe combines these elements to create a delightful and bold fusion of Mediterranean and spicy flavors.
What is the best Shrimp to use?
I often use whole Shrimp with skin and head included in many Mediterranean shrimp recipes. I think it’s also perfect for this Mediterranean diet shrimp recipe. Why, you might ask? Despite being frozen, these whole Shrimp still pack a ton of flavor thanks to the head and skin, which add depth and complexity to the dish. The head is incredibly flavorful, containing the Shrimp’s digestive tract and other tasty bits. Plus, the skin helps seal the juices and keep the shrimp tender and succulent. By all means, feel free to use any Shrimp you prefer in this recipe. However, keeping a close eye on the cooking time is essential, as Shrimp can quickly become overcooked.
What is a black lemon?
Black lemon, also known as dried lime, is a staple in Middle Eastern cuisine. B boiling fresh limes in salt water and sun-drying them adds a tangy, smoky sweetness to dishes. For its distinct flavor, I often incorporate ground black lemon into my Mediterranean shrimp recipes. You can use one directly in the sauce if you have whole black lemons. Can’t find black lemon? Try Middle Eastern stores, specialty shops, or online platforms like Amazon. Alternatively, combine a bit of lime zest and sumac as a close flavor substitute.
What is Harissa Tomato Sauce?
Harissa is a spicy North African chili paste made from roasted red, hot chili peppers, garlic, and a blend of cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds. It has a complex flavor profile: smoky, slightly sweet, and spicy. When mixed with tomato, it makes for a delicious sauce packed with flavor. In addition, it’s the perfect topping to add to this recipe for spicy Shrimp!
If Harissa is unavailable, you can make your own spicy Harissa sauce. To do so, blend roasted red peppers, hot chili peppers, garlic, and spices. Alternatively, you can substitute it with another chili paste or hot sauce with a similar flavor profile. Spicy Harissa sauce offers a great complimentary flavor if you make Mediterranean recipes with Shrimp.
How to Serve this Mediterranean Shrimp Dish
Roasted vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant, would make a great side dish. The roasted vegetables will provide a sweet and smoky contrast to the spicy Shrimp. Link
A side of couscous or quinoa would be a great way to round out the meal. These grains are mild in flavor and will help absorb the flavorful sauce from the Shrimp.
Finally, a chilled white wine, such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio, would be the perfect drink to serve alongside this dish. The acidity and freshness of the wine will complement the bold flavors of many Shrimp Mediterranean recipes.
Tell Me How I’m Doing?
Have you made this richly flavorful, zesty Mediterranean Shrimp dish? Did you like it? Did you change things up? Love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below