Deliciously crispy and packed with flavor, these za’atar kale chips are the perfect healthy snack. Easy to make and easier to enjoy!
These za’atar kale chips are your go-to for a crispy, healthy, and flavor-packed snack! Making homemade kale chips in the oven is simple and budget-friendly compared to the pricey versions in high-end grocery stores. This is a must-try if you’ve been searching for a kale chips recipe for the oven. All you need for this easy kale chips homemade recipe are three ingredients: kale, olive oil, and your seasoning of choice—in this case, za’atar.
I harvested a bounty of kale this spring, prompting me to find creative ways to use it. The result? The best recipe for crispy kale chips seasoned with za’atar. The earthy spice blend complements the crunchy, baked kale beautifully, making it the perfect on-the-go snack or when you’re in the mood for something crunchy.
Health Benefits of Kale Chips
Yes, kale chips are a super healthy snack! Known as a superfood, kale is packed with antioxidants and rich in vitamins C, A, and K. Plus, they’re low in calories and will keep you feeling full—an excellent choice for those watching their weight. Want another delicious way to enjoy the health benefits of kale? Try my Kale Juice Recipe.
Picking the Right Kale
You can use any type of kale for baked kale chips, including red kale, Tuscan kale, curly kale, or Siberian kale. Each type has a different taste and texture, so try them out and find your favorite one!
Flavoring Your Kale Chips
My go-to seasoning is za’atar, but the sky’s the limit when it comes to flavoring. Below are some more creative options to elevate your crispy kale snacks:
Alternative Flavor Ideas for Easy Kale Chips
- Garlic Parmesan: Combine garlic powder and grated Parmesan cheese for a cheesy, garlicky kick.
- Spicy Chili: If you like it hot, add some chili powder or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
- Lemon Pepper: A classic! Use lemon zest and black pepper for a zesty, tangy flavor.
- Salt and Vinegar: A dash of sea salt and a sprinkle of vinegar powder will make you think you’re eating traditional potato chips!
So whether you stick with za’atar or try something new, you have plenty of options for making kale chips that suit your taste buds.
How to Make the Best Easy Kale Chips
Before you start baking your kale, make sure to remove the thick stems. They hold water and can lead to soggy, unevenly crispy chips. Once that’s done, follow these simple tips for the best homemade kale chips:
- Dry the Kale: Make sure to pat the kale completely dry after washing. This is crucial for a crispy end result.
- Lightly Oil: Use just a light coating of olive oil. Overdoing it will make your chips soggy.
- Don’t Crowd the Pan: Place the kale leaves in a single layer on the baking sheet to ensure they crisp properly. Overcrowding leads to sogginess.
- Baking Time: Bake the kale for 15 minutes, flip the leaves, and bake for another 15 minutes. Keep a close eye to prevent overcooking, as chips that turn brown taste bitter.
Troubleshooting Your Homemade Kale Chips
Even the best recipe can sometimes hit a snag. Here are some common issues and how to fix them:
- Not Crispy Enough: If your baked kale chips aren’t as crispy as you’d like, they might be too wet. Make sure to pat the kale dry before adding the oil. Also, consider extending the baking time by a few minutes, but keep a close eye to prevent burning.
- Too Salty or Over-seasoned: If you’ve added too much seasoning, you can’t remove it, but you can balance it by making another batch with no seasoning and mixing the two batches together.
- Storing Leftovers: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. If they lose their crunch, you can revive them in a warm oven for a few minutes.
Tell Me How I’m Doing?
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make the best homemade kale chips! If you try out this recipe or any of the flavor variations, I’d love to hear about it. Share your creations with us on social media and don’t forget to tag us!