Crispy Kale Chips with Za’atar
These za’atar kale chips are crispy, healthy, and packed with flavor! Kale chips tend to be a pricey snack found in high-end grocery stores, but luckily it is surprisingly easy to make at home. You only need the kale, some olive oil, and your favorite seasoning.
Since I harvested so much kale early this spring, I needed to be creative in finding ways to use it. So, I decided to make crispy kale chips with za’atar. The earthy flavor of the za’atar pairs well with the crunchy kale. It is a perfect snack if you are on the go or feel like having something crunchy.
Are Kale Chips Healthy?
Yes, kale chips are very healthy! Kale has been identified as a superfood, meaning they are packed with nutrients. They have plenty of antioxidants and are filled with vitamins C, A, and K. They are also low in calories but will help you feel full, making them an excellent snack for diets.
What Type of Kale Should I Use for Baked Kale Chips?
You can use any type of kale for baked kale chips, including red kale, Tuscan kale, curly kale, or Siberian kale. Each type has a different taste and texture, so try them out and find your favorite one!
Remove Thick Kale Stems
Kale stems can be thick, hard, and bitter. Removing the stems before baking them allows the chips to crisp up more evenly. The thick stems tend to be filled with water, so it will be hard to crisp the kale in the oven if you leave them on.
Tips for the Best Kale Chips Recipe
- Make sure to pat the kale completely dry after washing it. This is an essential step since it makes sure the kale will be crispy.
- Don’t add too much olive oil, or the kale will be too oily and soggy. The best way to make kale chips is to spray the oil or add a light coating of olive oil.
- Do not crowd the sheet pan with too many kale leaves, or they will take a long time to crisp up.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip the leaves and finish baking for another 15 to get both sides of the kale crispy.
- Make sure you do not overcook the kale. When the chips turn brown, they will be bitter and won’t taste good. Remove the kale right when they start to crisp up.
How to Flavor Kale Chips?
My favorite seasoning to spice it up is za’atar, but there are plenty of ways you can season it. You can add sea salt, and zest from citruses such as lemons or oranges, paprika, or garlic powder. Have some fun and experiment with different flavors that you like. There is no right way to make these chips. You can even add parmesan cheese or make salt and vinegar version.
|1 bunch kale (remove stems and tear into large pieces)|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|1 tablespoon zaatar or lemon zest|