Every time I stir a pot of this tomato soup, made with freshly picked tomatoes, I’m transported back to summers in my grandmother’s kitchen. The aroma, the deep red hue, the perfect blend of freshness and comfort – it’s more than just a meal; it’s a memory.
The first time I ever made this Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup was in my café, just as the leaves began to turn and the crisp air signaled the onset of fall. That time of year always brought an exciting shift to our menu as we started rolling out our daily soup specials. This roasted tomato soup was a weekly staple, and it found its perfect partner with a grilled cheese sandwich.
What I love most about this recipe is its simplicity. A handful of wholesome ingredients like olive oil, garlic, onion, carrots, and basil bring it to life. I use just a tablespoon of tomato paste to deepen the color without overpowering the natural goodness of the tomatoes. Since tomatoes can be a bit acidic, I balance that with a small pinch of sugar. And while many recipes call for broth, I find that ripe tomatoes release enough juices during roasting to make it optional. I add just a cup or two of water for the perfect consistency if needed. So, without further ado, let’s dive into how to make this easy yet soul-satisfying dish.
Ingredients Homemade Tomato Basil Soup:
- Tomatoes: The star of the show, ripe tomatoes contribute a rich, sweet, and slightly tangy flavor, delivering the essence of summer.
- Garlic: Roasted garlic adds a deep, savory note with a subtle sweetness, creating a robust foundation for the soup.
- Onion: Sweet onion, when roasted, brings a mild, caramelized sweetness that complements the tomatoes and garlic.
- Carrot: The carrot contributes a hint of natural sweetness and helps balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Oregano: Dried oregano offers earthy, aromatic undertones, enhancing the overall savory profile of the soup.
- Sugar: A small amount enhances the natural sweetness of tomatoes and caramelizes during roasting, adding depth to the flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Essential for seasoning, salt heightens flavors, while black pepper provides a subtle heat.
- Fresh Basil: The bright, aromatic freshness of basil elevates the soup with a burst of herbal notes, enhancing its overall vibrancy.
- Olive Oil: Used for roasting and drizzling, olive oil imparts a rich, fruity flavor, adding a luxurious touch to the soup.
- Water or Vegetable Broth: Depending on preference, water or vegetable broth can be added to achieve the desired consistency and enhance the savory depth.
- Optional: Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese adds a salty and nutty element for garnish, complementing the soup’s overall flavor profile.
What Tomatoes Are Best for Homemade Tomato Soup?
Choosing the right tomatoes is key for a tasty homemade tomato soup. Campari or Roma tomatoes are excellent picks for this recipe due to their deep, savory flavors, making a delightful roasted tomato soup that’s both hearty and delicious. If fresh tomatoes are hard to find, don’t worry – a can of high-quality fire-roasted tomatoes can be a fantastic substitute, providing your soup with an additional layer of smoky flavor.
Should You Peel the Tomatoes?
My personal preference is to peel the tomatoes before making the soup. Peeling removes the skin, which can sometimes have a slightly tough or chewy texture, making the soup smoother and more velvety. Peeling is the way to go if you’re a fan of silky-smooth soup like I am. However, leaving the skins on is fine if you don’t mind a bit of texture or are short on time. It’s all about personal preference.
Your Personal Touch on a Classic: Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato soup has always been more than just a recipe for me—it’s a bowl of comfort and healing, especially when I’m not feeling my best. With its Mediterranean roots, this dish is as good for the soul as it is for the body, being naturally low in calories yet rich in flavor.
But the beauty of this soup lies in its flexibility. Vegan by default, it can easily be modified to suit your taste or dietary preferences. Feel like adding protein? Toss in some grilled chicken. Are you in the mood for a richer, creamier texture? A splash of cream or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese can do wonders. And if herbs like thyme or oregano catch your fancy, add them. After all, a recipe is just a guideline; the real magic happens when you make it your own.
Versatile Uses for Tomato Soup:
The goodness of this Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup goes beyond just a bowl of soup. Its hearty flavor makes it a great base for other dishes. Want pasta? Turn this soup into a simple yet tasty sauce for your spaghetti with a few tweaks and added meat or veggies. You can also use it as an interesting, flavorful layer in lasagna or cook it with meatballs, allowing them to soak up the savory and tangy flavors of the soup. With its versatility, this tomato soup will likely become your kitchen go-to!
This Homemade Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup pairs wonderfully with various dishes, transforming a simple meal into a gourmet delight. Consider serving it alongside a spinach and lentil salad with a sprinkle of feta, a herb-crusted baked chicken breast, or perhaps with a crispy fish fillet. If you fancy more vegetables, a medley of roasted zucchini, bell peppers, and broccoli makes for a fulfilling side. And, of course, for a classic, irresistible duo, serve this roasted tomato soup with a perfectly grilled cheese sandwich.
I would love to hear your experience!
Have you made this Roasted Tomatoes Basil Soup? I would love to hear from you; please share your experience with us!