This creamy Lebanese garlic sauce was a staple at our family gatherings, and now, I’m thrilled to share this cherished recipe with you. Dive in and discover a taste that feels like home.
Let me introduce you to the amazing world of Lebanese garlic sauce, known as ‘toum.’ This sauce is super famous and delicious. You can use it on shawarmas, grilled meats, and roasted veggies. My husband loves it, especially with BBQ chicken or grilled veggies. It’s got that perfect combo of tangy garlic and delicious meat or veggies.
The best part? Making this sauce is easy-peasy. You only need four ingredients and a few simple steps. Once you’ve got it, you can keep it in the fridge for up to a month and use it whenever you want to add some garlicky goodness to your food. So, let’s get started and discover the magic of Lebanese garlic sauce together!
What is Toum? Lebanese Garlic Sauce
Troubleshooting Toum Sauce
If your Toum sauce fails to emulsify and breaks, don’t worry! Here are a few methods to fix it:
- Add an Egg White: If your Toum sauce has separated, add an egg white to help stabilize the emulsion. Gradually add a beaten egg white to the broken sauce while running the food processor until it comes together.
- Slowly Incorporate Fresh Garlic: If the sauce still refuses to emulsify, you can start a new batch of Toum and slowly incorporate the broken sauce into it, bit by bit. The fresh garlic in the latest batch can act as an emulsifier and help bind the broken sauce together.
Remember, Toum sauce can be temperamental, and achieving the perfect emulsion can take practice. Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t turn out perfectly the first time. With some experimentation and these troubleshooting tips, you can master the art of making Toum sauce.
Toum sauce is incredibly versatile and pairs well with a variety of dishes. Here are some serving suggestions to enjoy your homemade Toum sauce:
- Shawarma: Drizzle Toum sauce generously over your chicken or beef shawarma wrap for a burst of garlicky goodness. Toum’s creamy and tangy flavors perfectly complement the savory and spiced meat.
- Chicken Wrap Sandwich: Layer Toum sauce on pita, top with grilled chicken, veggies, and your favorite extras. The Toum sauce adds a delightful creamy and garlicky kick to your sandwich.
- Grilled Vegetables: Serve grilled vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers alongside a dollop of Toum sauce. Combining smoky grilled flavors with the creamy and aromatic Toum sauce creates a mouthwatering side dish.
- French Fries: Elevate your French fries by dipping them into Toum sauce. The creamy garlic flavors of the sauce perfectly complement the crispy and salty fries.
- Roasted Chicken with Za’atar and Sumac: Roast a Za’atar and Sumac-seasoned chicken for robust flavor. Serve with Toum for a tangy, garlicky harmony.
Feel free to get creative and explore other dishes where Toum sauce can be a delightful addition. Enjoy the versatile flavors of this Lebanese condiment!
Tell Me How I’m Doing?
Try my homemade Toum sauce and experience the authentic taste of the Middle East! Share your feedback and variations in the comments below.