I absolutely love this delicious lemon Greek yellow rice! It’s bursting with citrus and fresh herbs, making it one of my top rice dishes. Whether serving it as a side dish or incorporating it into a full meal, this flavorful dish will impress and have everyone returning for more!
If you want to learn how to make Greek rice, you have come to the right place! This recipe for lemon Greek yellow rice is my absolute favorite rice dish. The combination of tender rice, rich broth, and flavorful ingredients burst with the goodness of onions, garlic, lemon juice, and herbs. Adding the lemon juice and its zest gives this dish a light yellowish color that perfectly complements its zesty flavors. The result is a dish that is both comforting and delicious. This quick and easy Mediterranean yellow rice recipe pairs perfectly with a range of Mediterranean dishes, from roasted chicken to Moroccan chicken, Chilean bass, and much more. With so many delicious pairings, this has become one of my favorite Greek rice recipes!
Ingredients in Your Greek Yellow Rice Recipe:
- Long-Grain White Rice: Long-grain white rice provides a neutral base for the dish, allowing the flavors of the other ingredients to shine.
- Ghee or Unsalted Butter: Ghee or butter contributes a rich, creamy, and slightly nutty flavor, enhancing the overall richness of the rice.
- Garlic: Minced garlic brings a savory and aromatic element, infusing the rice with a delightful garlicky essence.
- Dried Oregano: Dried oregano offers a distinct earthy and slightly bitter flavor with floral notes, adding depth to the rice.
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest: Fresh lemon juice provides a zesty, tangy kick, while lemon zest imparts a bright and citrusy aroma, creating a refreshing contrast.
- Chicken Broth: Chicken broth infuses the rice with a savory and meaty flavor, enriching the overall taste.
- Fresh Herbs (Parsley, Dill, Mint, Oregano, Basil): A medley of fresh herbs adds layers of freshness and herbaceousness to the rice, enhancing its aroma and flavor, with each herb contributing its unique character.
Tips for Perfect Greek Yellow Rice
- Choosing the Right Rice and Yield: For the best lemon Greek yellow rice, opt for long-grain white rice. It offers a firm and fluffy texture, ensuring the rice doesn’t turn mushy and absorbs the flavors evenly. While other rice varieties may work, long-grain white rice is ideal. You can expect approximately 3 cups of cooked Greek Lemon Rice when using one cup of uncooked rice. This helps you plan your servings and portion sizes effectively. The yield may vary slightly based on factors like rice brand and cooking method.
- Wash and Soak the Rice: Before cooking, washing and soaking the rice is crucial. This extra step removes excess starch and debris, resulting in non-sticky and transparent rice. Soaking the rice in warm water for 20 minutes helps it absorb moisture and cook evenly, creating a light and fluffy texture.
- Let It Rest and Fluff with a Fork: Allow the rice to rest for 10 minutes after cooking. Then, use a fork to fluff it up instead of spoon. This resting period helps the rice absorb any remaining liquid and ensures even cooking. Fluffing with a fork separates the grains and prevents them from sticking together while releasing excess steam, preventing mushiness
Variations of this Greek rice recipe
If you want to switch up your lemon Greek yellow rice, consider adding simple but tasty ingredients such as peas, carrots, or nuts. The sweetness of the peas and the crunchiness of the nuts will add a nice contrast to the tangy and aromatic flavors of the dish. Another option is to mix some orzo pasta with the rice for a heartier texture. These variations are easy to make and require minimal extra effort but can take your Greek lemon rice to the next level.
This zesty lemon Greek yellow rice is a versatile side dish that pairs wonderfully with various Mediterranean recipes. I love serving it alongside succulent roasted chicken with creamy yogurt sauce and a refreshing fattoush salad. The combination of flavors and textures is divine. Whether for a crowd or a family meal, this dish will impress. It also complements dishes like beef goulash and coq au vin.
Tell Me How I’m Doing?
Have you made this delicious, flavorful Lemon Greek Rice? I would love to hear from you; please leave a comment below!