Discover my go-to, easy-to-make soup with pantry staples – a comforting bowl of Egyptian Lentil Soup.
This Heartwarming Tradition of Egyptian Lentil Soup is made from vibrant and nutritious orange lentils. In every Mediterranean kitchen, this cherished recipe stands as an essential. It’s a tradition in my family, going back as far as my memory allows. In my kitchen, it holds a special place. My husband frequently craves its comforting embrace, choosing it over any other soup.
As the split orange lentils simmer to perfection, the aromatic blend of cumin, coriander, and turmeric fills the air, weaving a tale of warmth and tradition. The generous squeeze of lemon adds a zesty touch, elevating each spoonful to a delightful symphony of flavors. Join me in relishing the experience. Cut the toasted pita bread. Dip it into the bowl. Savor the warmth and nourishment of this soup. It’s a true embodiment of a cozy, heartwarming hug in a bowl.
Egyptian Lentil Soup Ingredients
- Orange Lentils (Red Lentils): These tiny legumes form the heart of our soup, bringing a creamy texture and earthy flavor.
- Onions and Garlic: Finely chopped onions and minced garlic add aromatic depth, creating a savory base for the soup.
- Vegetables: Diced carrots, celery (optional), and tomatoes contribute freshness and a medley of wholesome flavors.
- Ground Spices: A trio of ground cumin, coriander, and turmeric infuse warmth and complexity into the soup, complemented by a hint of black pepper. Optional chili powder or paprika provides a subtle kick.
- Broth: Vegetable or chicken broth or water with a bouillon cube forms the liquid foundation, enhancing the overall richness.
- Olive Oil: Sauté and drizzle olive oil to add a velvety finish and bring a touch of Mediterranean goodness.
- Lemon Magic: Fresh lemon juice and lemon wedges provide a burst of citrusy brightness, elevating the flavors.
- Sumac (Optional): A sprinkle of sumac offers a delightful twist for those seeking an extra layer of tanginess.
- Garnish: Chopped fresh parsley crowns the soup, adding a final flourish of color and freshness.
This delightful combination makes each spoonful of Egyptian Lentil Soup a comforting and soul-satisfying experience.
Tips for Flavorful Bowls Every Time!
- Skip the Soaking: There is no need to soak the lentils; a thorough wash is sufficient. This ensures they maintain the desired texture in the soup.
- Mind the Water Ratio: Be mindful of the water-to-lentil ratio. Weigh your lentils (around 11 oz) to adapt to variations in size. Too much water can result in a thinner consistency.
- Sauté Before Spicing: Enhance flavor by sautéing vegetables before adding spices. This builds a robust base for the soup, intensifying the overall taste.
- Serve with Toasted Pita: Elevate the experience by serving the soup with small, toasted pita bread pieces. Soak them in the bowl for a delightful texture.
- Top with Personal Flair: Experiment with toppings to suit your taste. Sumac and lemon add zing, fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro, and a sprinkle of zaatar can enhance the soup’s aromatic profile.
These tips ensure a delicious and well-balanced Egyptian Lentil Soup!
- As a Wholesome Meal: Enjoy a generous bowl of Egyptian Lentil Soup as a satisfying and nutritious meal. Its hearty and flavorful profile makes it a delightful option for a comforting lunch or dinner.
- Perfect Pairing with Salads: Fattoush Salad: The freshness of Fattoush Salad, with its vibrant vegetables and tangy dressing, complements the earthy flavors of the lentil soup. Greek Salad: Pairing with a classic Greek Salad offers a balance of flavors, bringing the salad’s bright and crisp elements to the lentil soup’s richness. Spinach and Lentil Salad: This salad’s nutritional richness blends seamlessly with the lentil soup, providing a wholesome and nourishing dining experience.
- Before a Main Dish: Roasted Chicken with Sumac: Pair this lentil soup as a delightful prelude to a main course, like succulent roasted chicken seasoned with sumac. Lamb Chops: As a side dish, the soup complements the savory goodness of lamb chops, offering a well-balanced and satisfying meal. Oven-Baked Chicken Breast: Enjoy the lentil soup alongside a simple oven-baked chicken breast for a wholesome and nutritious combination.
I would love to hear your experience!
I’d love to hear about your experience with this Egyptian Lentil Soup! Share your thoughts in the comments below.A hearty and nutritious Egyptian Lentil Soup, a timeless Mediterranean classic, perfect for a cozy meal or as a delightful side dish.